04/03/2009

Complexity 5

Okay, so I just posted on Gershenson's blog, COMPLEXES and now I am posting on his recent book, Complexity 5.

I have to admit that this is the exact book I have wanted to write myself. It is a series of overviews (interview style) of leading thinkers in the field of complexity science.

What I particularly like about the book is that it interviews people who other complexity scientists view as TOP NOTCH--rather than the same list of popular people who often get far too much attention. I am particularly excited to see Nigel Gilbert, Paul Cilliers, and Bar-Yam in the list, as well as Melanie Mitchell. There are lots of women in complexity science who have yet to get their dues, and so this is great! (I cannot help making the last point, I am a sociologist.)

Here is the complete list of contributors: Peter M. Allen, Philip W. Anderson, W. Brian Arthur, Yaneer Bar-Yam, Eric Bonabeau, Paul Cilliers, Jim Crutchfield, Bruce Edmonds, Nigel Gilbert, Hermann Haken, Francis Heylighen, Bernardo A. Huberman, Stuart A. Kauffman, Seth Lloyd, Gottfried Mayer-Kress, Melanie Mitchell, Edgar Morin, Mark Newman, Grégoire Nicolis, Jordan B. Pollack, Peter Schuster, Ricard V. Solé, Tamás Vicsek, Stephen Wolfram.

No comments:

Post a Comment